On the 12th May a ransomware named ‘WannaCry’ – also known as WannaCrypt, WannaCrypt0r 2.0, and Wanna Decryptor – appeared on the internet causing widespread disruption across multiple organisations in several countries.
The ransomware targets Windows operations systems by exploiting multiple Windows SMB vulnerabilities such as:
At M24Seven we have immediately launched an investigation to ensure that all our systems are protected. This means that we ensured that all our IT Systems were up-to-date with the recommended patch (MS17-010). Our investigation confirmed that we have had implemented Security Advisory for MS17-010 vulnerabilities, as well as ensuring that our corporate Firewall blocks SMB protocols.
Our team also ensured that the M24Seven anti-virus definitions also include mitigation from the current threat and all endpoints are up-to-date.
We would like to reassure all our customers that have data residing on the M24Seven platform that this is fully patched against this vulnerability. To make sure all your systems are safe, please follow our tips below:
- Be careful of any links in your emails that could be harmful – do not click on them if you are unsure.
- Be wary of visiting unsafe of unreliable sites.
- Never click on a link that you do not trust on a web page or access to Facebook or messaging applications.
- Keep your files backed up regularly and periodically.
- Be aware of fraudulent email messages that use similar names to popular services e.g PayePal instead of PayPal.
- If you a receive a message from a friend with a link, ask them to confirm the link is safe before opening.
- Use anti-virus software and always have the latest update.
- Make sure you Windows system has the latest update.
Have more questions?
We’d like to make sure we answer all your concerns. So if you have any further questions or want to seek further advice on our M-Secure services please contact our Support team on 031 080 0700 or email us on email@example.com.